When it comes to the transportation of horses through horseboxes, many horses are familiarised and accustomed with transportation from the beginning. However there are many of them that have never been transported, even if they have not been transported before, there might difficulty to load the horse into the vehicle. Some horses might be challenging to manage during transportation, you can avoid these stresses by tranquilizing the horses. Here are the basic things to reduce stress in horses during transportation.
- Train the Horses – This is the key to handle the horses, train the horses so they don’t face any issues as well and they can be loaded, unloaded and hauled properly and effortlessly. Nevertheless loading has always been the most difficult and stressful job, which is why it’s vitally important you really train horses for them to gain a better understanding of your body language.
- Proper Vaccination is Done – the next step; make sure you own all the health records to meet any regulatory requirements. This is even truer if you are going through cross country borders and other borders too.
- Choose the Right trailer for the horses – Make sure you choose a van or trailer suitable for your horse. Check if the box can allow the horses to lower the head this makes a crucial difference.
- Inspect the Vehicle – Before you start your journey, inspect the vehicle and ensure proper sanitization.
- Plan Recovery Period – Plan for enough recovery period, don’t forget to offer the horses water every 5 to 6 hours, especially during summer. Pick up excretions during the time of interval. Horseboxes for sale are available in different communities, and these suggestions are offered during the time of sell.
- Hire Experienced Caretakers – If you are hiring a commercial transport company, the grooms as well as other caretakers must be experienced enough so they can handle the horses and care for them as well.
- Plan a Short Route – When it comes to transporting the horses, try to plan the shortest route with minimum duration. Also take care of the weather condition and environmental temperatures.
- Flooring should be Non-Slippery – The flooring should remain non-slip throughout the trip. You can use absorbent bedding to soak up manure and urine excreted.
- Proper Ventilation is Required –To ensure minimum stress to the horses while transporting, having adequate ventilation is a must.
- Provide Halter – Providing a well-fitting halter, preferably leather halter, is absolutely needed.
- Provide Food and Water – While transporting the horses with horseboxes, they must be provided with enough food and water.
- Avoid Standing in Traffic or Fuel stops – It is highly recommended not to spend a prolonged stationary period at refueling stops or in traffic. A horsebox in the sun can be at least 20 degree hotter inside than outside. Traffic often gets delayed during summer and that associates fumes and smoke which can be harmful to the horses. If you predict that there might be a prolonged delay, unload the trailer (if safe).
These are a few things to take care of to ensure stress reduction in horses.